Nov 1, 2014

Why Write? To Save the World Perhaps

By Shane Fernandez

I have been a writer since the day I could hold pen to paper. That was some twenty years ago, and I wouldn't even remember it if it wasn't for my proud Indian mother taking a picture with her Polaroid camera when I wrote my first words. It was just my own name, in clumsy childish, handwriting, but Ma was proud nonetheless. The picture has since then been lost, but my mother's pride, and my own love of writing has only gotten stronger.



Writing is an art, and only an artist can know this to be fact. We often think of art as painting, drawing, collage, sculpture, and the like. Often it is the beholder, the critic, who decides what art is, what good writing is. I have written poetry, essays, short stories, and so much more. Rarely have my writings seen the light of day. Very few have they been shared with. Some of my best writing has appeared on blogs with few visitors. Does that mean I'm not a real writer? Does that mean I'm not creative? I don't think so. I am not ashamed of the fact that I am not a published author - yet. I am young, and there is plenty of time to write that novel. One day. Or maybe never.

To be honest I don't really want to be famous. That's not why I write, even though my Ma hopes it. My writing - and the writing of all those who write with passion and love - is important because I care. And it is mostly reactionary writing. When I read an article criticizing my religion, or any other religion, I write about that. When I read about a white person belittling a black person, I write about that. When I hear about conflict, injustice, or any other kind of negativity, I write about it. If I can get my voice heard, my aim has been achieved. If I can change even one reader's opinion, my goal has been met.

So if you write, or are thinking of starting, here's my two cents. Write from the heart, as if you could bring your passion out on the paper. Write about positive things, because there are already plenty of people writing about horrible, negative things. Write to help others, because interfaith topics and cultural topics can bring people together in understanding and love. This blog is a great place to start, but there are also countless other places where you could let go of your creative spirit. Just write. It may help you be more creative, or it may even save the world.

Shane Fernandez is a recent immigrant to Houston from India. He has written about travel, religion and culture in several Indian blogs and is working on a novel. The views expressed here are his own and do not necessarily reflect those of Interfaith Houston.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment